Now that we have the software installed and the initial configuration is complete, it is time to configure our firewall to handle traffic as well as filter threats. In addition, we will want lock things down and prohibit the use of unwanted applications types such as P2P. I created this video to help you configure Sophos XG v17 for the first time and to help get you started creating your first rule. Remember like any other firewall, there will be a learning curve at first and it may seem a bit overwhelming. But if you stick with it you will find that once you grasp the concept, it is fairly straightforward and is extremely powerful in protecting your home or small business network.
- Configure your Interface cards
- If using more than two NIC cards, configure the network range of the other cards
- If using more than two NIC cards, configure DHCP for the additional networks
- Set your static IP addresses for each network
- Name any devices that you will want to control separately
- Create your Web Filters
- Create your Application filters
- Make your first rule. At a minimum, you need a default rule that is applied to the entire network, then you can build from there
For reference, I have added the pictures below to use a reference when creating your first rules.